Wednesday, December 18, 2013

CHRISTmas


Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love the carols. I love the time with family and friends. I love the abundance of treats. I love the decorations-- the lights, the trees, the ornaments. But most of all: I love the spirit that I feel at Christmas time-- the spirit that helps me feel closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ.

It's this holiday that is truly His holiday. It has even taken upon itself His name! CHRISTmas. When anything takes on Christ's name, it is consecrated for him. For example, when we take upon ourselves the name of Christ through sacred covenants, we become his people. (Mosiah 5:7) Similarly, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints is called after Christ. Christ himself said, "And how be it my church save it be called in my name? For if it be called Moses' name then it be Moses' church; or if it be called in the name of a man then it be the church of a man; but if it be called in my name then it is my church." This is the same with his Holiday. Christmas is not called Mosesmas. If it was it would be Moses' holiday.  It's also not called Decorationsmas, Presentsmas, Foodmas, Santamas, Givingmas or Familymas. Although there are many good traditions associated with Christmas, this is not what the day should be consecrated for. The day should be consecrated to Christ!

It can become consecrated to Christ as we try to put more Christ in our Christmas. When thinking about this idea, I noticed that the second syllable in the word Christmas is "mas." I don't know a ton about root words, but it reminds me of "mass." I got really excited when I noticed this correlation because I want to have a massive amount of Christ in my Christmas. I mentioned this connection to a member of the congregation at church. He expounded off of this idea. He told me that "mas" in Spanish means more! I love this!!! That means that the "definition" of Christmas is MORE CHRIST!!!

Sometimes it can be easy to get "wrapped up" in other Christmas activities and forget about putting more Christ in our Christmas season. Combat the tendency to think of santa and other secular things by doing activities that are centered on the Savior. Sing songs about Him. Read stories about Him. Serve Him.
 
My mom wrote a poem on this subject that I'd love to share:

Put Christ at the center of your life
Throughout this holiday
For His birth is the reason
We celebrate Christmas Day

As you think about Santa Claus
And the presents on your list
Remember the greatest gift of all
Was the baby that Mary kissed

Put Christ at the center of your life
As the Christmas Tree you trim
For the evergreen represents eternal life
Which can only be gained through Him

Keep Him close within your heart
As you watch the lights aglow
For the greatest illumination will come
When you give Him your heart and soul

Put Christ at the center of your life
As the presents come rolling in
For accepting His atonement
Is the only way to win

Then keep His sacrifice in mind
As you give to those in need
For Christ served all whom He did meet
And we should follow His lead

Put Christ at the center of your life
Today and every day
And you will know the joy that comes
From following His way


~Kristine Cox




I know that we will feel the true joy that comes from Christ as we put him at the center of our Christmas and the center of our lives. I know my Savior lives, and I love him with all my heart!

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful thoughts! Thanks for sharing my poem and for expounding on the meaning behind it in your blog post. I loved reading it!

    ReplyDelete