Wednesday, January 22, 2014

CoMfoRtaBle

Scenario:
Two adorable sister missionaries knock on Sally's door. Sally shuffles to the door and peers out only to see two young women standing out in the cold holding books. They seem nice enough. Oh wait! Sally looks closer: Not the tags... They're missionaries! After the missionaries introduce themselves they begin to explain their purpose. Sally interrupts, "I'm not interested! I am already comfortable in my religion."

Key:
Two adorable sister missionaries: Sister Eddy and I 
Sally: A representation of half of the people we meet knocking doors. 


*******
It's taken me awhile to figure out what it is about this response bothers me. It truly doesn't bother me that people belong to different religions. If I wasn't a Latter-day Saint, I'm sure I would have another faith. After all, we, as missionaries, come to help others add to the truths they already know. We DO NOT come to tear down anyone's beliefs. 
I'm Already comfortable in my religion...
Already comfortable...
comfortable 

Now I realize that 'comfortable' is the culprit word.

I am confident that being comfortable is not the best way to live life. Comfortable is sitting on a couch watching actors and actresses pretend to go through awesome events while munching on potato chips, Milk Duds, and McDonalds and probably gaining a few pounds. That's what comfortable is. Comfortable is a good time, it really is. But, when a person decides to get out of the comfort zone, when they decide to get off their lazy bum and start using their glutes for something adventurous, like scaling a mountain or diving into the ocean, that's when life really gets interesting. That's when new heights are reached. That's when life is not just good; it is stunning. It is brilliant. Being comfortable is actually a crutch that keeps people from reaching their full potential. DON'T GET COMFORTABLE.

I know that if all the Sallys out there knew that there was another life than just being comfortable, they would get off that silly sofa and start hitting the trails. I know how to reach new heights spiritually!!! I wish Sally would hear me out. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints contains the fullness of Christ's gospel! Because of it, everyone can and reach new heights, spiritually speaking... if they are willing to trust God and get out of their comfort zones! People who do not know about the church have to step out of their comfort zones to learn about the message we share, but the stretching doesn't end there. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we are invited to do many things throughout our lives that are meant to expand our zones of comfort. 

I love being a member of the Church of Christ in the latter-days. God asks me to do things that I am absolutely not comfortable with, however, it is exactly those things that have shaped me into a better person. I don't feel comfortable being a missionary most of the time! I don't feel comfortable saying that I am a representative of Jesus Christ. (It's such a bold thing and I often feel inadequate.) I don't always feel comfortable interrupting people's nights by spreading God's word. I don't feel comfortable getting called to speak to a congregation spur of the moment. I don't feel comfortable sharing my personal spiritual experiences to people I just met, or preaching to people who have acquired more knowledge, but not necessarily more wisdom, than me. I'm not comfortable trudging around the streets in the dark looking for people who may need the gospel. I don't feel comfortable eating in front of people that I've never met before. I don't feel comfortable spending every second of every day with another human being (aka a missionary companion.)  Sometimes it is uncomfortable to pray in public...but all of this said:  I LOVE THESE THINGS!!!! I do not always love them in the moment; I seldom do, but I look back and realize how grateful I am that God gave me these experiences to grow. The wonderful thing is that I know even when I get home from my mission, God will ask me to do things that make me step out of my comfort zone. I will keep becoming what he wants me to be. 

God will require us-- no matter what point we are at in our lives-- to be uncomfortable, to stretch. The blessings will be great. They will be eternal. I invite you to  step out of your own comfort zone in your service and devotion to our Heavenly Father. He will be with you every step of the way. 




3 comments:

  1. We used to say if you were ever comfortable out there, you were doing something wrong. I'm not sure I like you extending it outside the mission field though, I like being comfortable :) although I do know better. I also feel like in a lot of ways, it's been years since I actually was! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a quote by Elder Richard B. Scott... "Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously. When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more (see Prov. 3:11–12). He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain."

    Thanks for the reminder! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make some amazing points. Keep up the good work. I can't thank you enough for all that you have taught me. Just remember we are all here for each other, all you have to do is ask and you shale receive. :) stay righteous

    ReplyDelete